Thursday, August 04, 2005

Author Profile: Han Solo

Character Name: Han Solo
"Real" Name: Phoenix G.
Age: 30
Gender: M
Global Location: Echizen town, Fukui prefecture, Japan.
Day Job: Assistant Language Teacher

Q1: What made you decide to start a blog like this?
Like other people, I read the Darthside blog, and it was fantastic. I think it got my hopes up (too high, it turns out) for Episode III. It REALLY enhances the original trilogy though. Read Darthside and watch ROtJ again; fantastic. I thought, "someone should do this with the other SW characters" and when no one picked up Han, I decided to do it myself.

Q2: Why did you choose your particular character?
To me, Han was the real star of the original trilogy. I didn't really care about Luke or his family problems. I cared about this scoundrel, dragged kicking and screaming into a rebellion he wasn't keen on, more than the main character. I think that those of us whom grew up on the original trilogy and found the prequels lacking, felt so because there was no Han Solo equivalent.

I almost went the Lando route. That character has so little screen time that you really have a wide range of options. But, in the end, I thought Han would be more fun.

Q3: Where do you get ideas?
In the beginning, I got my ideas from the original trilogy. How did Han feel in this scene? What was he thinking? Lately, as I post less and less on the Han blog itself, and more on Survivor and in the comments of other SW bloggers, I've just been inspired by whatever material I'm presented with. Something in a post will remind me of something else, and I'll try to reference it.

Q4: Any blogging tips and tricks?
  • Post frequently. ^_^ I know, I know, "do as I say, not as I do." Regular posting keeps your creative skills up.
  • Use an RSS reader to keep up to date with the other blogs. You never know when something someone else says will spark inspiration for your character, and it's a good idea to keep abreast of events.
  • Edit your template! It's hard to take a blog seriously if they have "Edit-Me" links in their sidebar.
  • Composing offline (easier than ever with the Blogger for Word addon) makes it easier to check spelling and grammar (always important!), and save backups in case of catastrophe (I've lost a few posts due to transfer errors). However, you must remember to fix your apostrophes! Word converts them to a form that does not display correctly in all browsers/operating systems.
Q5: Where do you find pictures for use on your blog?
Google Image Search. Sometimes I'll make one myself, but my skills really lay in other areas.

Q6: What's the last book your character read?
"Han is from Corellia Chewie is from Kashyyyk" (suggested by Kit Fisto).

Q7: What's the last book you read?
Recently, I've read "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" (don't judge me), "The Shadow Rising" (The Wheel of Time, Book 4), "Wolves of the Calla" (The Dark Tower, Book 5). Right now I'm reading Michael J. Fox's "Lucky Man" autobiography. I keep meaning to re-read Douglas R. Hofstadter's "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" but there are few people where I live that would put up with me talking about it endlessly.
Favorite Authors: Terry Pratchett, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Piers Anthony, Alan Dean Foster, Raymond E. Feist, David Brin, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, etc (far too many to mention).

Q8: Other hobbies/interests?
Language, Computer Science, Books, Movies, Music, Games, etc. My focus at university was on computer programming; I'd like to write computer games that teach you something (e.g., a foreign language). I also enjoy creative writing, and hope to some year actually finish NaNoWriMo.

Q9: Other blogs you work on?
My Right Eye: My personal blog.
PostHumorous: A site to share humor.
Japanese Review: Japanese language educational game and resource review site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Big Brother: Naboo

Survivor: Tatooine